Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

5 days

Because my race is five days away and I'm extremely nervous, I decided to post my list of required items for race day instead of writing about how I feel (TERRIFIED).  Also, if anyone sees any huge gaps in the list, you can help me out!

Swim:
  • wetsuit
  • goggles x 2
  • swim cap
  • race issued swim cap
  • ear plugs
  • watch
  • tri shorts
  • sports bra
  • tank top
  • body glide
  • towel
Bike:
  • bike (though it will already be there, so I shouldn't have to remember it)
  • bike shoes
  • socks
  • helmet
  • sunglasses
  • race number belt
  • 1 package of gu chomps
  • 3 gu gels (plus 1 that I'll take as soon as I get to my transition station)
  • 5 salt pills
  • aero bottle filled with sports drink
  • regular bottle filled with water
  • extra water bottle to rinse my feet
  • bike pump (a big one to pump my tires before I swim)
  • co2 gun thingy
  • 2 co2 cartreges
  • 2 spare tubes
  • tools
  • sunscreen
Run:
  • runners
  • socks
  • hat
  • hydration belt with sports drink
  • 2 gu gels
  • body glide
Post Race:
  • sports bra
  • tank top
  • shorts
  • compression socks
  • new runners
  • FOOD (though I will rely on my race supporters to provide that for me!)
So most of that stuff I'll bring with me as I'm racing, though a few items will be left in transition (like body glide, sunscreen etc.)  I'm wondering if I should have two sunscreens, one for each transition, or rely on the sunscreen "station" that I've heard will be in the transitions.  Because this is a point A to B race, I won't have access to the things in my T1 bag for T2, so anything I'll need twice I'll have to have two of.  Kind of a pain, but no big deal.  Luckily there were a few body glide samples kicking around the shop, so I snagged one for my T2 so I won't need to buy another body glide (since I JUST bought a new one).  I'm bringing mainly sports drink with me since I like to have what I'm used to drinking, and I'll get my water from the aid stations along the way.  I'm really not sure how I'll do with the aid stations on the bike, but I'll try my best, and bring lots with me so if I'm too uncoordinated to use them, I won't be stuck without nutrition.

I hope that about covers it.  Definitely let me know if you see something missing!! 


AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

4 comments:

kristen said...

Maybe wrap a hair elastic around one of your water bottles just in case one breaks in your hair?

Runner Leana said...

I think you've covered it, but here are a few thoughts.
- Bring a towel, use it to wipe your feet and face after the swim. Rinsing off with a water bottle? Takes time and a towel works just as well.
- Garmin? Do you use a Garmin?
- Put the sunscreen on in the morning. You probably won't remember in transition. If you are worried about something burning though then go for it. But don't forget to apply beforehand!
- I doubt you'll be switching socks between bike and run.

Hopefully that helps a bit! Good luck and HAVE FUN!! :)

lu said...

i have no idea how to prepare for those transitions, but i do know that you can do it and are going to have a blast in the process!

can't wait to hear about it!

Heather said...

Thanks for the tips!!! I don't have a garmin, sigh, and the extra socks were a just in case kind of thing... maybe they get wet or something? Anyway I appreciate the help! The elastic is a good idea... I wouldn't have thought of that.