Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

The Steve Nash Sports Club

On Tuesday, I was in Vancouver for the day, and the hotel I was at was close to the Steve Nash Sports Club.  I didn't know he had opened a chain of gyms, but he did, and I thought I would go try it out.  Because I was a guest of a nearby hotel, I got a discount of my drop in fee, so it was only 8.50$.  Normally, we get free entry to near by gyms, but I splurged because I had a lot of working out to do!

I started out in the 2 lane swimming pool, did about 40 minutes of laps and various drills with my new earplugs, which worked out SO well.  They didn't fall out, and they kept the water out.  I was very happy about that.  I then got changed in the super nice locker room (with individual showers with doors!), took a new grapefruit carb-boom gel, and hopped on the bike.  As I've mentioned, the bike and I don't get along at ALL, so I originally was going to cut my workout to 40 minutes, but I felt guilty, so I did 60 (which isn't too much better).  I was on the random hill program on there, so some of it was really hard and some was a bit easier.  By that time, I was completely drenched in sweat.  I did a thorough wipe down of the bike, and then got on the treadmill.  I did 45 minutes (with two one minute walk breaks) and then a fifteen minute quick walking cool down.  I went back into the locker room, with a little trail of sweat following me, wished I had brought shower stuff with me, and begrudgingly put on my sweater and ran back to the hotel to shower. 

I was so impressed with the facility.  There were classes that were included in the fee as well, but I didn't do any of them since I had a pretty good workout under my belt.  The locker rooms were immaculate, with people cleaning them every time I was in there.  There were lots of cardio machines, lots of weights, lots of bare space... It was really nice.  There were a lot of different TVs as well to keep your mind off the pain.  If I lived in the area, I would definitely get a membership (if I could afford it!)  They also have a 7 day free trial that you can sign up for online.  AND, there was a lululemon and a jugo juice in it!  Crazy!

I was planning on another great workout the next day in Edmonton, but when I put on my gym clothes, there were still wet from the day before!  I was so disgusted.  I went down to the gym anyway, which was a far, far cry from the steve nash club, went on the bike, found it was broken, went on the treadmill, found IT was broken, did about 15 minutes of ab work and called it a day.  Ooops.  At least because my clothes were still sweaty, it LOOKED like I had done a good workout.  I sure smelled like it.

The NEXT day I was going to have a great workout in Victoria, where we get a free pass to a HUGE YMCA type facility, but fog rolled into Calgary and affected my day of flying, so I ended up somewhere else that night and missed my workout.  So, with two days of non workouts, I need to get something done today!!!  As soon as my breaky digests, I'm on it!

3 comments:

kristen said...

grapefruit? was it good? just earlier this week i was thinking "i wonder why there are no sour gels...like lemon or grapefruit or cherry blasters..." and figured that with all that carb/sugar, it would be hard to make it both sour and easy on the stomach.

what did you think of it?

Heather said...

I really liked it actually!! I'm more of a GU person, but this was a free sample and I like free things.

lu said...

i am impressed with your workout regime!