Thursday, November 27, 2008

Don't mind me, I'm a little woozy.

So I have had a busy two days. Yesterday I tore myself away from my vampire books and went to the GI doctor. This is the appointment I have been waiting for since February. I go in, we talk about celiac disease and I tell him I'm on a gluten free diet so I understand that in order to get an accurate result of a biopsy I need to go back on gluten. He asks me when I went off gluten, and I told him about 2 or two and a half months ago. He tells me "alright, lets do this tomorrow." TOMORROW. As in, TODAY. More funny things happened in that appointment but they're too embarrassing for the internet. Lets just say my face was SO red that his student Dr couldn't look at me and he even got a little embarrassed.

So this morning at 7am, I went to the hospital for an endoscopy. I didn't really think it was a big deal, and I really didn't expect it to be as hospital-y as it was. I did, however, expect it to be terrible. I went into a big room with a bunch of beds, was ordered to strip (but I was allowed to keep my socks, how kind of them), put on the backless gown, and put my things in a locker. I kind of felt like I was going into a gas chamber, but I begrudgingly obeyed. Then a nurse came over, told me what was going to happen as another nurse was putting in an IV. I really didn't think I was going to get an IV. I knew I would be sedated, but I thought there would be gas or something. Anyway it was really hard to concentrate on the talking nurse while the needle nurse was searching for a vein. Eventually I got wheeled into the procedure room, saw the doctor, had to sign consent forms with an IV, the nurse sprayed my throat with local anesthetic, and then she injected the medicine. It wasn't general anesthetic, but just sedation. From that point I don't really remember much. The nurse said I would feel the stretcher go down my throat (that goes down before to make room for the camera) and gag, and then they would tell me to swallow, but I really don't remember a thing. I heard them call my name a few times, but I don't know whether it was telling me to swallow, or if they were saying "all finished"... I seem to remember that. Anyway I woke up in the recovery area when the doctor came back to do something terrible and I don't want to talk about it, but luckily I don't remember that either. I remember saying "at least you're wearing purple gloves" and him laughing. Enough about that (though that has to do with the embarrassing things that happened at the appointment yesterday). I woke up a little later, had some apple juice and gluten free cookies, slept a little more, tore out the breathing nose thing, slept, woke up, got dressed, and that was that. I honestly have no recollection of the procedures at all. Yay!

After I saw mum in the waiting room, the Dr. called me back to discuss his findings. He said that even though the biopsies have to be sent for official testing, he could without a doubt say that I have celiac. My intestine is slightly damaged, which is good because it shows a positive result, but also because it means the gluten free diet is working. Horray! Done! Not even close to as terrible!! But more hospital-y. Oh well. Anyway I'm woozy, and am legally impaired until 7am tomorrow, and then I'm off to Maui!

No comments: